Let us help you put the 'care' in your career - we can point you in the right direction for everything you need to know about getting a job in health and social care in Derby and Derbyshire.
Why work in health care?
Why work in social care?
Top reasons to choose working in health and social care in Derby and Derbyshire
Living in Derby and Derbyshire
Culture, shops, sport, the great outdoors – it’s all on your doorstep.
From the lively urban attractions of Derby and major towns to the tranquillity of the Peak District National Park, this area has it all.
It’s also one of the more affordable areas of the country – so your salary will go further, whether that’s money on your mortgage or the latest fashions in your wardrobe. Average house prices for example are below the national average in Derby and Derbyshire.
There are excellent transport links through the county. Direct rail services connect Derby to London in under two hours. 80% of the population are within a two-hour drive from Derby - great for visiting friends, family, customers and suppliers. Heading away on holiday? East Midlands Airport is just down the road.
The arts are well catered for throughout the region with venues such as Buxton Opera House, Derby Quad and the Joseph Wright Gallery at Derby Museum.
Cultural attractions include Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and Kedleston Hall. For the more active, there are tourist attractions such as Heights of Abraham in Matlock Bath and thrill-seekers will always enjoy a trip into Staffordshire to experience Alton Towers.
For sports fans, you can follow the football at Derby’s Pride Park, Burton Albion or Chesterfield, watch Derbyshire County Cricket, enjoy track cycling at Derby Velodrome, or there’s motor sports at Donington Park.
There are also plenty of opportunities for getting out and about in the countryside, including running, mountain biking, caving and kayaking.
For learners, there are a number of well-respected schools and colleges throughout the area. The University of Derby, with campuses in Derby, Buxton and Chesterfield, offers gold-standard higher education.
Working in Derby and Derbyshire
Whether you want to work in a hospital, health centre, call centre or care home, there are plenty of opportunities within Derby and Derbyshire. And now one of our organisations, University Hospitals of Derby and Burton, covers part of Staffordshire we can offer opportunities further afield too.
There are opportunities across the area to progress your career with employers keen to support your skills, training and continuous professional development. There are ways to re-train, re-skill and take on new roles. With a wide variety of employers and employment sites, there is the potential for a flexible portfolio career – taking on the hours and responsibilities you want, to balance careers, family and lifestyle.
Local employers include local authorities (social care), primary care, NHS community providers, NHS acute trusts, a NHS mental health trust, as well as private, voluntary and independent sector providers.
- Want a career break? Take advantage of schemes such as the Return to Practice scheme in the NHS
- Want to be on stand-by to help? Join the NHS Reservists
- Want a career to suit you and your needs? Caring roles available across the city and county on part and full-time basis with hours to fit in around your life
- Find your perfect career role - we have entry schemes via apprenticeships and the Step Into Work pathway
- Choose the career to suit you – with the opportunity to choose from many different employers – NHS, local authorities (social care), or independent businesses like care homes – there will be a role that’s right for you
- Promotion of health and wellbeing initiatives throughout the care sector
- Access to occupational health support
- Flu and Covid vaccinations for staff
- Mental health support
- Events throughout the year in various organisations to promote staff wellbeing
- We have a large number of learning and training institutions including colleges with bespoke health and care courses and the University of Derby – gold-rated for teaching
- Check out a huge variety of courses at places like UTC Derby, Derby College, Chesterfield College and the University of Derby
- Plenty of opportunities for learning and career development with specialist support in a huge variety of workplaces
- Becoming a health or social care professional is one of the most personally rewarding careers - caring for others brings with it immense job satisfaction